Wednesday, January 2, 2008

January Poem of the Month

Welcome to the newly formed Sit Stay Read Poem of the Month Club!

When I came across this month's wonderful poem by Langston Hughes I realized that I'm not familiar with much poetry. So, as there's nothing like an assignment to get me moving, I thought I'd post a new poem each month.

What especially appealed to me about this poem is that Hughes says his work is meant, "to be read aloud, crooned, shouted, recited and sung." I read it aloud to Shandy and even she seemed to enjoy it. Try it and feel the rhythm of his words for yourself.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

1 comment:

Johanna said...

Beautiful! All people should read poetry at least once in a while. Like song lyrics or oratory, it has a whole different emotional life to it. Just look at the opening scene in "The Great Debators" -- powerful!